PORT GLAUD

LEONNE FLORENTINE
District Administrator

The Port Glaud District is situated in the north western part of Mahe. It is the largest district in terms of surface area of 26.7 km sq. It borders the districts of Beau-Vallon, Bel-Ombre and St.Louis on the northern side, Bel-Air on the eastern side and Grand Anse Mahe on the southern side.

The district is named after Captain Glaud who used the calm bays for mooring during the 18th century.  Rumors have it that he engaged in illegal trading of giant tortoises. It is unclear when the district itself was named because in the 1770’s, the area was also known as Port Philippe.  By 1973 however, the name Port Glaud was being used in survey documents.

Port Glaud was mainly an agricultural and fisheries district with some processing cannel factory. It is more popular for its heritage site such as the waterfall, mission lodge, the Port Launay, Baie Ternay Marine Park and the Morne Seychellois Mountain with its famous tea plantation and processing factory. Sauzier Waterfall (Port Glaud).

Population: 2711
Number of households: 833

Services offered in the District Administration Offices:
 •Social Services by Ministry of Family Affairs
 •Welfare assistance application by Agency for Social Protection
 •Counselling and animation Programmes by Seychelles National Youth Council

Opening hours: 9.00am to 3.00pm
Other Public Services:
Clinic:
 •General Doctor Practitioner
 •Basic Primary Health care
 •Open from 8.00am from 4.00pm on weekdays

Children’s village.